“...his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph...”
Opening Prayer Led by Group Facilitator
Pray the Psalm together aloud, alternating verses between two sides. When finished, share reflections on the Psalm as a group
1 Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!
2 From you let my vindication come! Let your eyes see the right!
3 If you try my heart, if you visit me by night, if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me; my mouth does not transgress.
4 With regard to the works of men, by the word of your lips I have avoided the ways of the violent.
5 My steps have held fast to your paths, my feet have not slipped.
6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me, hear my words.
7 Wondrously show your mercies, O savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand.
8 Keep me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,
9 from the wicked who despoil me, my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly.
11 They track me down; now they surround me; they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.
12 They are like a lion eager to tear, as a young lion lurking in ambush.
13 Arise, O Lord! Confront them, overthrow them! Deliver my life from the wicked by your sword,
14 from men by your hand, O Lord, from men whose portion in life is of the world. May their belly be filled with what you have stored up for them; may their children have more than enough; may they leave something over to their babies.
15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with beholding your form.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.
Joseph & Potiphar's Wife
1. So far, Joseph has not explicitly heard God’s voice speaking to him. Nevertheless, what evidence is there that the Lord is with him? When you can’t hear God, what evidence is there that the Lord is with you? What are the ways that the Bible expresses God’s favor in Joseph’s life?
2. Power and success can be intoxicating for a man and attractive to a woman. Why do so many powerful men succumb to the temptation of Joseph? What power and success do your sons experience? How can you teach your sons to properly handle power and success in relation to other people.
3. Scripture says that "after a time" Potiphar's wife cast her eyes upon Jacob. As master of the house, Joseph would have spent significant time around Potiphar's wife. What do these details reveal about how extra-marital affairs often occur? While working closely with female co-workers or clients, what actions can a husband take to protect his marriage?
4. False sexual accusations can be devastating for politicians and clergy. How does Joseph’s character shine even in the midst of false accusations? Is there a lesson here for a contemporary Patriarch enduring slander and accusation?
5. Joseph has been unjustly sold by his brothers. Joseph has been unjustly imprisoned under false pretenses. Besides explicit sexual temptation, what other temptations might Joseph have faced? When have you witnessed a man in your life faithfully navigate unjust setbacks? What unjust setbacks do your children encounter? How can you use those situations to teach lessons to your children?
Choose a resolution for this week from the suggestions below or make your own. Tap on a resolution to email it to yourself:
1. I will go to adoration and write down the areas that I believe the Lord has helped me to prosper in.
2. I will schedule a renewal of vows ceremony with my wife.
3. I will exercise dominion over my desire for power/success by relinquishing control of a project to someone who can be trusted with it. I will avoid taking credit for their success.
4. I will end or distance a relationship with a female friend/co-worker that I feel has become too intimate.
5. I will speak to a co-worker or someone I volunteer in a ministry with about the importance of always ensuring that there are three people present when we are in a potentially compromising situation.
6. I will teach my children practical steps to avoid being left alone in a potentially dangerous situation.
7. I will communicate the truth in a situation where someone is being deceitful, even if it will negatively affect me.
8. I will offer up a fast this week for someone who has treated me unjustly.
Discuss with your prayer partner the success/failure of your previous resolution & offer a vocal prayer for one another.