“Now then restore the man's wife; for he is a prophet and he will pray for you and you shall live.”
Opening Prayer Led by Group Facilitator
Pray the Psalm together aloud, alternating verses between two sides. When finished, share reflections on the Psalm as a group
1 Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering.
2 Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind.
3 For your mercy is before my eyes, and I walk in faithfulness to you.
4 I do not sit with false men, nor do I consort with dissemblers;
5 I hate the company of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.
6 I wash my hands in innocence, and go about your altar, O LORD,
7 singing aloud a song of thanksgiving, and telling all your wondrous deeds.
8 O LORD, I love the habitation of your house, and the place where your glory dwells.
9 Sweep me not away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10 men in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes.
11 But as for me, I walk in my integrity; redeem me, and have mercy on me.
12 My foot stands on level ground; in the great congregation I will bless the LORD.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.
Abraham & Abimilech
1. How are Genesis 12 and Genesis 20 parallel stories of the relationship between Abraham/Sarah and surrounding kings and kingdoms?
2. What is Abraham’s expressed motive for deceiving Abimelech? Under what circumstances might a Patriarch consider being dishonest?
3. Because of Sarah, how does God afflict Pharaoh’s house in Genesis 12? How does God afflict Abimelech’s house in Genesis 20?
4. God does not speak directly to Pharaoh, but he does speak to Abimelech. How does he speak to Abimelech? What is God’s message? How does a Patriarch discern dreams?
5. In Genesis 20:7, God calls Abraham “a prophet.” What is a prophet, and how is every Patriarch called to be a prophet?
6. Because of Sarah, how does Abraham profit from Pharaoh? How does Abraham profit from Abimelech?
Choose a resolution for this week from the suggestions below or make your own. Tap on a resolution to email it to yourself:
1. I will surprise my wife with a small gift or a note expressing my love for her every day this week.
2. I will spend 20 minutes reflecting on how and when God has spoken to me and I will give thanks for those times.
3. I will pray a Rosary or a Divine Mercy Chaplet every day this week in intercession for a family member.
4. I will attend mass each day this week in intercession for someone who has hurt me.
5. I will reach out to heal any relationships in my life where dishonesty has caused conflict.
6. I will proclaim the word of God to a family member, friend or coworker.
7. I will read a Bible Story to my children each night this week.
Discuss with your prayer partner the success/failure of your previous resolution & offer a vocal prayer for one another.