“Get ready for the journey...”
Opening Prayer Led by Group Facilitator
Pray the Psalm together aloud, alternating verses between two sides. When finished, share reflections on the Psalm as a group
1 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;
2 my mercy and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me.
3 O Lord, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him?
4 Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow.
5 Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down! Touch the mountains that they smoke!
6 Flash forth the lightning and scatter them, send out your arrows and rout them!
7 Stretch forth your hand from on high, rescue me and deliver me from the many waters, from the hands of aliens,
8 whose mouths speak lies, and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
9 I will sing a new song to you, O God; upon a ten-stringed harp I will play to you.
10 who give victory to kings, who rescue David your servant from the cruel sword.
11 Rescue me from the cruel sword, and deliver me from the hand of aliens, whose mouths speak lies, and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
12 May our sons in their youth be like plants full grown, our daughters like corner pillars cut for the structure of a palace;
13 may our garners be full, providing all manner of store; may our sheep bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our fields;
14 may our cattle be heavy with young, suffering no mischance or failure in bearing; may there be no cry of distress in our streets!
15 Happy the people to whom such blessings fall! Happy the people whose God is the Lord!
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.
Tobit Trains His Son
1. In what ways has Tobit modeled an adult relationship with God to Tobias? In what ways does Tobit inform Tobias’ relationship with God? Who has modeled an adult relationship with God to me? Who informed my relationship with God? In what ways am I modeling a relationship with God to my children? In what ways am I informing my children in their relationship with God?
2. What are some of the main elements of Tobit’s human wisdom to his son? What main elements of my father’s human wisdom remain with me?What elements of human wisdom do I wish to impart to my children?
3. How has Tobit provided for his Tobias’ future? vocation? prosperity? family? How has Tobit prepared Tobias’ for his venture into the unknown? How did your father prepare you for your future vocation? prosperity? family? What preparation did you receive to venture into the unknown? How are you preparing for your children’s future? vocation? prosperity? family? How do/could you prepare your children for their venture into the unknown?
Choose a resolution for this week from the suggestions below or make your own. Tap on a resolution to email it to yourself:
1. I will establish a regular rhythm of my own personal prayer that my family will see.
2. I will model personal vocal prayer with each of my children individually.
3. I will model the rosary with my family.
4. I will gather my family at the end of Mass to lead them in prayer before leaving Church.
5. I will ask my children how they pray, and I will tell them how I pray.
6. I will share with my children something that my father taught me.
7. I will explain to my family how blessed and proud we are be to be Catholic.
8. I will establish with my wife the ways we will address the issues of chastity and sobriety with our adolescent children.
9. I will make/update a plan for my children’s future educational or financial needs.
10. I will discuss with my children the qualities of a great spouse.
11. I will speak with my children of the nobility of a religious vocation.
Discuss with your prayer partner the success/failure of your previous resolution & offer a vocal prayer for one another.
Scripture quotations are from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible—Second Catholic Edition (Ignatius Edition) copyright © 2006 National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.